Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Orijit Sen's Comics in NCERT Textbooks: How cool is that?

I was researching for some of my work when I discovered an NCERT textbook with comics and the style was something I had seen before...I thought for two minutes and then downloaded the PDF of the book from internet.

It was Orijit Sen's artwork.

That same evening I went to my local bookstore after some 7-8 years and bought NCERT SOCIAL AND POLITICAL LIFE - 2.



I was planning to put the comics up for others to read, but the PDF i found had this huge watermark over it :

I opened the files in Adobe illustrator and the first page of the PDF was like the file available to the guy who made this ! I could edit every component. 

(And everytime I find new techincal gimmickary like this my respect for graphic "artists" dies but a small bit. Graphic artists definition : I don't draw but I use my mouse to create beautiful things - I used to know someone like this and the non drawing "artists" are a solid pain! This guy would literally draw over other people's artwork!)

so I could remove the irritating watermark. but new problem - multipage PDF opens as single page in Adobe Illustrator.

With that freedom  I took the liberty to make nice wallpaper of orijit sen's artwork on the book -






Here are the stories:




COST OF A CURE


ON ELECTION DAY: 










THE LOVING SOAP



MY MOTHER DOES NOT WORK: 




WHOSE RESPONSIBILITY




XAVIER:



in the middle of the book you learn that Salim-Javed also collaborated with NCERT :



One story they didn't get the time to finish 



Cover pages:


And it helped me add a new word to my cartooning dictionary: 


Updated:  

Orijit Sen on his NCERT project: "Two things that give me great satisfaction about this project: 1- i was able to make comics become a part of the very same ncert textbooks we used to hide our comics behind, during 'study classes' (we usually suffered slaps if caught) 2- self righteous teachers using these textbooks will never realise how much rum, charas and cigarettes went into their creation"

0 comments:

Post a Comment